1. What is Naturopathic medicine?
Naturopathic Medicine is a comprehensive holistic medical system based on 7 basic principles:
- The healing power of Nature (vis medicatrix naturae): Within each and every one of us humans lies the innate intelligence and ability to heal ourselves.
- Find and treat the causes (tolle cuasam): As important or more than to address symptoms, Naturopathic Medicine seeks to identify and treat causes of diseases.
- First do no harm (primum non nocere): Naturopathic medicine uses therapies and substances which work with the body (not against it) to help it heal with minimum side effects.
- Doctor as teacher (docere): We in Naturopathic Medicine teach medicine and health and self responsibility for health. Since health and well being depend on many different factors and not only on the medicines taken.We build or destroy our health mentally and physically every single day with our conscious or subconscious decisions.
- Treat the whole person: Naturopathic physicians treat each patient individually, recognizing environmental, lifestyle, genetic, emotional, mental and physical factors.
- Prevention: Naturopathic physicians pay especial attention to prevention because most diseases are preventable, if we are interested to knowhow.
- Wellness: the absence of disease is not the same as wellness. Wellness entails the joy to be alive, the gratitude for all our blessings and it is not only a physical state but an emotional attitude as well. “In a serene grateful mind disease cannot stay” Chinese proverb.
2. Is Naturopathic medicine as easy as taking a pill?
Naturopathic medicine often requires the person to go out of his ways and make an extra effort to regain his health. By first removing the obstacles and following the suggested guidelines, in addition to taken the recommended medicines a person increases the changes of recovery.
3. Is Naturopathic Medicine always guaranteed to work all the time and with all patients?
Naturopathic Medicine is an evolving science and art and it is not a panacea therefore such a warranty is not possible. Furthermore health does not depend only on the medicines one takes. To regain our health we need to make an extra effort that takes time, money and patience. It often takes changing our long held attitudes and beliefs, or to do things differently from what many people consider standard. Nothing teaches more to the owner of a body than pain and disease. When we learn these lessons we are ready to get better. There is more on this issue in the following question.